The Livekey Snuffle Mat is an excellent way to keep your dog occupied while they are eating! This not only gives owners a much-needed break but also uses a ton of mental stimulation making your dog tired! Enrichment toys can really make a dog's life much better and are super easy to use!
What is a Snuffle Mat?
Snuffle Mats are a different take on slow-feeding bowls you may be familiar with. They work just like other slow feeders but might be a little better!
If you are trying to picture what a Snuffle Mat looks like, do you remember that trend of making fleece blankets with the ends tied together? Well, the core of a Snuffle Mat looks an awful lot like the edges of one of these blankets. Individual strips of felt like fabric extend out from the center of the mat. This allows you to hide the dog's food underneath the strips the fabric. Your dog then spends time searching through the fabric to find their food. Not only does this work well as a slow feeder there are also some great designs out there that look way better than any dog bowl.
Are Snuffle Mats for Dogs a Good Idea?
The main goal is to make dogs use their natural forage skills and use their noses to eat their food. This process is mentally taxing for them! This mental stimulation is vital in channeling your dog's energy into something constructive. Having constructive activates helps steer them away from destructive behaviors. It also tends to make dog's calmer the rest of the day, because they had an activity and didn't just quickly eat their food out of a bowl.
What kind of dog is a snuffle mat good for?
Snuffle mats are generally suitable for a wide range of dog breeds and sizes. They are particularly beneficial for dogs that enjoy using their sense of smell and have a natural inclination to forage and search for food. Snuffle mats can provide mental stimulation, encourage problem-solving, and help relieve boredom in dogs.
Here are some scenarios and types of dogs that can benefit from Snuffle Mats:
- Food-Motivated Dogs: Snuffle Mats are great for dogs that are highly motivated by food. They can turn mealtime into a fun and engaging activity, making dogs work for their food rather than eating from a regular bowl.
- Fast Eaters: If your dog tends to eat their food too quickly, a Snuffle Mat can slow down their eating pace. The hidden treats or kibble in the mat require dogs to sniff, search, and use their tongues to access the food, promoting slower and more mindful eating.
- High-Energy Dogs: Dogs with a lot of energy and a need for mental stimulation can benefit from snuffle mats. These mats engage their minds and provide a challenging and rewarding activity that can help tire them out.
- Dogs with Anxiety: Snuffle mats can be calming and soothing for dogs with anxiety or stress. The act of sniffing and searching for treats on the mat can help distract and relax anxious dogs.
- Senior or Injured Dogs: For older dogs or those recovering from injury, surgery, or illness, snuffle mats offer a low-impact activity that engages their senses without requiring excessive physical exertion.
- All Breeds and Sizes: Snuffle Mats are suitable for both small and large breeds. They can be adjusted to accommodate different sizes of dogs, and the level of difficulty can be varied by hiding treats at different depths within the mat.
Are there dogs a snuffle mat is bad for?
If your dog typically destroys soft plush toys the Snuffle Mat might not be the best feeding solution for them. There are two ways this can become an issue.
Destroying a Snuffle Mat When Not Attended
We have heard numerous stories where dogs have torn up a snuffle mat that has been left lying around the house when the owner is gone for the day. This can be avoided by putting the snuffle mat up when you aren't around or working with your dog to ensure that they understand that the mat is not something to lay on, chew up, or tear to pieces. An expert trainer can help work with you and your dog to help if your dog tends to destroy things when you aren't at home.
Destroying a Snuffle Mat When Looking for Food
The other scenario that we have experienced is dogs that will try and pull the snuffle mat apart to get to the food easier. This will take place while the dog is feeding and looking through the object for their meal. Instead of pushing the pieces of the mat out of the way they will try to paw and tear the individual pieces of the mat apart. You should watch your dog the first times that they feed from a Snuffle Mat to ensure that this is not occurring. Once they have proven they know how to use the mat you can leave them to use it less supervised. This is another situation where if your dog struggles with destroying the mat, you might want to seek professional training help to stop them, especially if your pup has issues with resource guarding.
Biggest Con of the Snuffle Mat
For people who want to ensure a 100% clean house/feeding area for their pup the snuggle mat can be problematic. It simply isn't as easy to ensure that it is clean as a bowl. There are many places that crumbs can hide and if your dog tends to drool a lot during feeding it will cause you to have to wash the mat each day to ensure its cleanliness. It can also cause dog food that is hidden in the fabric to get into your washer/dryer. There are many people that won't utilize a snuffle mat for these reasons.
How do you clean a Snuffle Mat?
Here are a few common cleaning methods for Snuffle Mats:
- Shake or Vacuum: For regular maintenance, you can simply shake out the snuffle mat to remove any loose debris or food particles. Alternatively, you can use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to gently remove dirt and crumbs.
- Spot Cleaning: If there are specific spots or stains on the mat, you can spot-clean them using a mild detergent or pet-safe stain remover. Follow the instructions on the cleaning product and use a cloth or sponge to gently scrub the affected area. Rinse with water and allow the mat to air dry.
- Machine Washing: Many snuffle mats are machine washable, but it's essential to check the care instructions specific to your mat. Most mats can be washed on a gentle cycle with cold water. It's recommended to use a mild detergent and avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals. After washing, let the mat air dry completely before using it again.
- Hand Washing: If the snuffle mat is not suitable for machine washing, you can hand wash it using a basin or sink filled with mild soapy water. Gently agitate the mat to loosen dirt, rinse thoroughly, and squeeze out excess water. Allow the mat to air dry completely.
- Remember to always follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and care to ensure the longevity of your snuffle mat. It's also a good idea to periodically inspect the mat for any wear and tear and replace it if necessary.
Should You Use the Snuffle Mat for Every Meal
Snuffle Mats are a great option for using for each of your daily feedings. To keep them effective you can switch them out occasionally for a different design or even a standard bowl/different slow feeder. Not only will this give you different decor options for your home, it will also give your dog a different challenge. The whole goal of the Snuffle Mat is to provide mental stimulation, if the mat is always the same and the food always goes to the same places, your dog will eventually know right where to look and some of the challenge will be eliminated. For that reason, change out the snuffle mat for a different design. Try a different puzzle bowl for a little, or even switch to a standard bowl for a bit. You can always rotate the Snuffle Mat back into the feeding schedule when your pup seems like they are missing it!
Buy or Make Your Snuffle Mat
There are a ton of DYI projection instruction guides out there for Snuffle Mats. Here is our favorite from My Crafty Dog. If you are good a crafter you might want to consider making your own. However, if this type of project is not something you typically do, we would highly recommend purchasing a pre-made product from a reputable retailer online. This will ensure that you get a product that is safe for your dog to eat from for years to come.
How Long will a Snuffle Mat Last
We have had some snuffle mats last customers for several years, however we recommend changing them out far more regularly. As we discussed above, this will ensure that your pup has a new challenge. It will also ensure that they have a clean and safe eating surface that isn't fraying or showing other signs of wear.
Overall, snuffle mats are an extremely versatile enrichment tool that can benefit a wide range of dogs, providing mental stimulation, slowing down mealtime, and offering a fun and interactive activity! Always consider your individual dog's needs, behaviors, and any specific health considerations before introducing a snuffle mat or any other interactive toy.
The links above are Amazon Affiliate Links meaning that if you visit their site and buy the product we will get a small commission. Please know that we only recommend products we truly love and would never recommend a product we don't think is incredible. We look at and try hundreds of products before we ever recommend them to our clients!