So many dogs drown every year when they fall in the pool and don't know where to get out! Do you want to keep your dog safe around your pool? Do you want control around the pool with your dog? If so, this dog pool safety article is for you!
Dog Pool Safety: Training to Prevent Accidental Drowning
Every year, thousands of dogs die from drowning. Luckily, most of these situations can be avoided if you acclimate your dog to the pool, teach them rules and control, and teach them to find the exit!!! This article focuses on ensuring your dog is safe if they fall into the pool!
Start with the basics
To begin, your dog needs a good foundation of obedience. Heel is one of the most significant commands we will use when doing this process because it gives us both control and calmness. Any additional commands you practice, and master will only help your dog trust you to move forward with this process.
Calmly enter the water
Now, let's talk about this process. To start, we recommend heeling your dog back and forth around the pool to get them calmer to be around the pool. As you can see, the dog in this video was hesitant. We tried heel, praise, and treats; nothing seemed to work.
So, instead, we picked her up and eased her in. It is essential to take time with this process and remember that we do not care if she wants to swim in the pool; we are working on what to do if she falls in.
With that in mind, make sure you are thinking about your overall goal of this process. We are focusing on keeping your dog safe if they fall in, but if you want them to swim, you need to work more on getting them acclimated to liking water or the pool.
Guide the dog out
Once we got her into the pool, we slowly guided her to the way out. We recommend using a leash here. Most dogs are not physically strong enough to climb out alone, so you must show them where the exit is. It is okay for her to make mistakes here as part of the process is for them to figure out where to go. If needed, you can then guide them back to the exit. Make sure you praise them when they go where you want them to.
Slowly make it more difficult
We advance this in a few ways. Added more distance, having them facing the wrong direction and taking the leash away. Remember to go slow and take your time with this process. Of course, this process does not get accomplished in one day. So make sure you have a good training plan to make progress every day!
Safety Tips While Working in the Pool
Always make sure you are supervising your dog if the pool is accessible. This process requires a leash at the start. You need to make sure you show your dog the rules of the pool consistently.
Short Training Sessions
Always remember that you need to take breaks when doing this. How often and how long really depends on each dog. So make sure you know your dog and what they can typically handle.
Every dog is different
Keep in mind what your goal is, and focus your efforts accordingly.
Focus on exiting
For a dog fearful of water, your goal may be to ensure they know how to exit the pool if they accidentally fall in. If your dog enjoys the water, there are additional considerations.
Wait for an invite to the pool
Teaching your dog they may only enter the pool when you invite them is critical to preventing an accident. Whenever your dog jumps in without permission, tell them no and follow through on removing them from the pool.
Train around the pool
Make sure you can get your dog to be calm, whether teaching them how to get out of the pool or being calmer when entering and leaving. The more well trained your dog is, the better!
Is Chlorine Exposure okay for my dog?
Overall, chlorine is very safe, and there is no large concern for dogs. However, there are a couple things to watch out for:
Don't Drink the Water: While small amounts will not hurt, keep an eye on your dog, especially on warmer days, and correct them if they start drinking. Take lots of breaks and always have free access to a water bowl.
- Rinse off: Some dogs have more sensitive skin than others. It's always a good idea to rinse off after a swim in the pool.
Dog Safety Products for the Pool
In addition to training, there are products specifically designed for aquatic environments that could be great investments in your dog's safety.
Dog Pool Ramp
- Safe Access: The Dog-DOK ramp provides a gentle incline for dogs to easily enter and exit the pool. It ensures that your furry friend can enjoy the water without the risk of injury from jumping or struggling to climb out.
- Durable Construction: Made from high-quality, puncture-resistant materials, this ramp can withstand the rigors of regular use and the wear and tear of outdoor conditions.
- Inflatable Design: Setting up the ramp is a breeze with its inflatable design. You can quickly inflate when it is pool time and deflate it for easy storage during the off-season.
- Non-Slip Surface: The ramp features a non-slip surface to provide a secure grip for your dog's paws, reducing the chances of slips or accidents.
- Portable and Lightweight: The Dog-DOK ramp is highly portable and lightweight, thanks to its inflatable nature. Take it with you to different pool locations or store it away when not in use.
- Versatile Usage: This ramp is not limited to pools; it can also be used for boats or other water activities where your dog might need a safe entry or exit point.
- Reliable Safety: The Winter Warrior Mesh Safety Pool Cover provides a strong and secure barrier over your inground pool, protecting it from debris, harsh weather, and, most importantly, ensuring safety by preventing accidental pool access.
- Durability: Constructed from high-quality mesh material, this cover withstands the elements, including heavy snow loads, ensuring it maintains its integrity year after year.
- Easy Installation: Designed with an easy-to-use installation system, securing and removing the cover is a straightforward process, making it convenient for seasonal use.
- Drainage Panels: The cover features drainage panels to prevent water accumulation, keeping your pool area dry and safe during the off-season.
- Effective Pool Enclosure: The WaterWarden Pool Fence is a sturdy and reliable pool enclosure solution designed to keep your pool area safe by preventing unauthorized access.
- Durable Materials: Constructed from durable materials, this fence withstands outdoor conditions while providing a long-lasting safety solution.
- Easy Installation: The fence is designed for easy installation, ensuring you can quickly set up a secure pool perimeter.
- Self-Closing Gate: Many models include a self-closing gate with a latch, adding an extra layer of safety to your pool area.
Dog Pool Alarm
- Enhanced Safety: The Granby Splash life jacket is designed to provide optimal buoyancy, keeping your dog afloat while in the water and promoting their safety during aquatic activities.
- High Visibility: It comes in bright and vibrant colors with reflective accents. This makes it easy to spot your furry friend in the water, even in low light conditions.
- Secure Fit: This life jacket includes adjustable straps and quick-release buckles. This ensures a snug and secure fit for dogs of various sizes.
- Top Handle: A sturdy top handle allows for easy and quick lifting of your dog out of the water if needed.
- Comfortable Design: The Granby Splash features a comfortable, breathable mesh material to keep your dog cool during water play.
- Durable Construction: Made with durable and reliable materials, it's built to withstand the rigors of water activities and ensure long-lasting use.
- Easy to Clean: The jacket is easy to clean and maintain, ensuring that it remains ready for your next aquatic adventure.
Remember to always supervise your furry friends around the pool, teach them how to exit the pool safely, and provide them with easy access points. With these precautions in place, you can look forward to countless hours of poolside fun and bonding with your canine companion, knowing that their safety is well taken care of. So, dive into a safe and enjoyable pool experience with your dog and make lasting memories together.
The article above contains Affiliate Links from Amazon and other companies. If you visit their site and buy the product, we will get a small commission. Please know that we only recommend products we truly love and would never recommend a product we don't think is incredible. We look at and try hundreds of products before we ever recommend them to our clients!